Review: [Dell Inspiron 1100]
You must sign up or login to contribute to the APC forums
Posted: 29/06/2008 8:06 PM
Windows Home Edition Version 2002 SP2
Dell Inspiron 1100
512 MB RAM
Every computer has a story. This one was given to me for free because it was horribly infected and the user was keen to sink his teeth into something more powerful.
I saw a perfect machine to connect to the internet with, but nothing more. I honestly believe that the safest way to safeguard sensitive information is to have a physical separation (have a second computer that you keep offline).
As a way of browsing ebay, gmail and skype this machine is fantastic. I have read a lot of negative posts about Dell machines, but my experience has not been a bad one.
Sure this machine does not break any records, but it does the job, and isn't that what any tool is for? Only a fool uses their computer as a way of flaunting wealth.
I might even consider buying a DELL in the future if the price is right.
I have given this machine a low rating, however it does do an ok job for its assigned task. The build quality seems to be rather ordinary, but so far nothing has broken per se (it is handled very gently and is seldom carried anywhere). The processor is slow, so whenever I am doing anything on this machine I tend to fetch a lot of tea, or wash dishes.
This machine will not win any awards for speed, but it does do the job, though having said that I should admit that this is my secondary computer and more serious work is done elsewhere.
Battery life has been a bit of an issue, but most of the time this unit is tethered to the grid and the battery might be ancient, after all.
The unit would make a very capable laptop for a budget conscious high school or uni student.
1. Killer features -- I got this computer for free, that is the one killer feature
2. Specifications -- Specs are low, as discussed
3. Design -- Appearance is run-of-the-mill, but the keys are all in the right place, unlike the Vostro
4. Durability -- Sturdiness of construction is good (this is an old machine that has kept on ticking)
5. Usability -- Connectors (USB, phone etc) are all where you'd expect them - at the back. Keyboard is good, has decent feel to it.
6. Connectors -- all types needed are there for modem, camera and such.
7. Performance -- this really lets this machine down - think coffee breaks and reminiscing about the z80 you had when you were a kid
8. Expandability & accessories -- no need to expand on this unit, I would not be tempted to tax this thing with any "extras", works well with external LiteOn DVD drive and Skype phone, though.
9. Value -- Compared to similar products on sale at the time, it was probably a bargain, after all it is a DELL.
10. Driver support, OS compatibility -- no problems encountered with drivers.
11. Service & warranty -- Have not had to get any help from the manufacturer, thankfully.
12. Your personal stories/thoughts -- nothing beats free. So this thing is fine for the price.
Ease of use: 9/10
Battery talk time: 2/10
Overall rating: 3/10 - suitable for a limited range of uses in this day and age.
send to a friend